The state of New York published a comprehensive PDF on Intimate Partner Violence which stated that:
• “Nearly 80% of females reported at least one incident of physical or sexual aggression by the end of college.
• 42% of stalking incidences reported by college women were perpetrated by a current or former intimate partner.
• In the US, approximately 1 in 3 young women (estimates up to 35%) are victims of interpersonal violence.
• College students face unique obstacles when it comes to IPV, sexual assault, and stalking.
• Living on campus or away from home can make students feel trapped in their community and social peer group.
• College students might be more fearful of reporting if they were using drugs or alcohol.
• Avoiding harassment and stalking can be more difficult when a victim lives in the same residence hall or attend the same classes as their abuser.
• Campus policies and procedures about dating abuse can be unclear.
• Campus security and resident life staff may be unprepared to deal with dating abuse.”
This document goes a long way to explaining some of the disturbing statistics about campus sexual assaults.
One of the best ways that women can defend themselves against sexual assault is with a self-defense item that is nonlethal. They are legal just about everywhere and are an inexpensive, effective way to defend yourself against any type of assault.
We always recommend a product that can be carried on a keychain that way it is with you at all times.
The Mace PepperGard Keychain is a good example. It has 20 half-second bursts up to 12 feet away and contains a UV marking dye too.
Guardian Self-Defense & Security Products LLC is one of the largest most trusted online distributors of non-lethal self-defense items and surveillance equipment in the US. We specialize in premium pepper spray, mace, personal alarms, stun batons and more. We are “The Self Defense Product Experts”!