Top Pepper Spray
Top Stun Guns
Personal Safety and Security Tips
Post by Bryan Buckner
Most of us would do whatever is necessary to avoid danger; sometimes in spite of our best efforts we run across situations where we are forced to confront dangerous situations. These situations involve someone attempting to rob, assault, or rape you. In a perfect world and perfect situation, we would all be prepared and ready for these types of crimes. We would have our pepper spray or taser device ready, upon approach we stop the attack before it had a chance to escalate. Unfortunately, we don't live in that perfect world. So what is the best way to handle situations where you must confront danger.
- Always trust your first instinct. If something does not feel right, its not. Do your best to get to safety or get help right away
- Pay special attention to your surroundings. Awareness is so important. Most crimes are solved by leads that provide small but unique details
- If you are walking or jogging, walk facing oncoming traffic and stay close to the curb
- While shopping hold or carry bags close to your body.
- Body language is extremely important. LOOK CONFIDENT. Criminals are much more likely to prey on people who are passive and indecisive
- Always make sure that someone knows where you are going and when to expect you back home
- If you think someone is following you, get yourself into a crowded place. Once there seek help.
- Be extra cautious around people you don't know who seem to be going out there way to engage you. This could be a setup for a mugging or assault.
- Awareness again. How would you react in a crisis situation? How would you defend yourself? If you don't know the answer to these questions, now is the time to prepare
- Though there is no right or wrong way to deal with a dangerous situation; it is often a good idea to show your anger (not your fear). A mad or furious reaction may stop an attack, criminals are looking for easy victims.
- One of the best things you can do when confronted with a dangerous situation is to YELL. Draw attention to yourself and you are likely to get help.
- If someone has a weapon, stay calm and wait for an opportunity. Weapons make the situation more dangerous and difficult, but there still may be something you can do about the situation. Each situation is different and remember the main objective is the get yourself to safety. Don't try to be a hero or do anything that will jeopardize your safety. In general, non-resistance is always the be best way to prevent physical violence. Negotiations may benefit in situations like attempted robbery. Stall for time, use techniques to distract or divert the attacker and if possible flee to safety. Verbal assertiveness, screaming and using devices that attract attention such as a whistle or alarm can save the day.