- DIY Homemade Pepper Spray - How to Make Pungent Spray December 07, 2020
- Best Pepper Spray - 2021 OC Buying Guide December 03, 2020
- Are Stun Batons a Good Protection Tool? September 04, 2020
The Effectiveness of Pepper Spray aka Mace
Post by Bryan Buckner
Lets talk about the effectiveness of pepper spray. Is pepper spray the most effective non-lethal self defense weapon? It's definitely the most popular self defense product on the market. Pepper spray, also known as OC spray (Oleoresin Capsicum), mace and capsicum spray is a severe irritant and pain agent. A quick one second spray to the face causes pain, tears, temporary blindness and respiratory distress. When used properly it is extremely effective at "taking the fight out" of an attacker. Pepper spray is proven effective when used on persons under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The best thing about it is effects are temporary. It's non-lethal and will not cause any long term injury. For many reasons it is the first line of defense for thousands of law enforcement and military professionals. Safety wise citizens are turning to pepper spray for personal self defense and even protection against aggressive dogs and bears. Here are the top reasons why everyone should carry pepper spray.
- Pepper spray is inexpensive. The cost of a good self defense spray is between $8 - $20. The exception would be bear spray or large crowd control sprays which cost between $25 and $60.
- Self life or expiration date is typically between 36 and 60 months. This means you will only have to replace your pepper spray every 3 to 5 years. Aren't you willing to invest in your personal safety at the cost of a few bucks per year?
- Legal for self defense in every U.S. state. A few states have specific restrictions related to size, strength or where you can purchase.
- No special skill set or specialized training required. If you are willing to spend a few minutes getting familiar with the spray and a few more minutes practicing how to use, you'll be in good shape.
- Pepper spray offers the unique ability to stop an attacker(s) at a safe distance. With an effective range of 8-15 feet, you won't have to get in harms way to protect yourself. A one second spray to the face will debilitate an attacker long enough to get yourself to safety.