Burglary Prevention - Home Security Tips You Can Use
- The average value of goods taken in a home burglary is close to $2100 in smaller, easy to pawn, high-value products such as jewelry, handguns, rifles, cash and credit cards. Other items such as collectibles are high-value targets as well.
- Home burglary is a low risk enterprise. The average time a burglar spends in a home is 10 minutes or less according to a study that was originally done nearly 20 years ago but still is true today. The reason the burglars don't spend any more time in the home is simple-they don't want to get caught.
- Statistics show us that fewer than 5% of burglars are what we would consider professional. Most are amateurs who are unemployed kids who are bored to tears and are looking for a challenge.
- There's less than a 10% chance that a home burglar will get caught unless the homeowner or one of his neighbors has video evidence of the perpetrator. As more and more people get home surveillance systems, perhaps the incidence of burglary will decrease.
- Make your house less inviting to burglars by removing potential hiding places around doors and windows on the first floor.
- Burglars don't like dogs. Even if you put a sign in your yard warning of a vicious barking dog that may be enough to keep him away.
- Protect your valuables by putting them in Diversion Safes. They are items you would see around your home, particularly the kitchen, that are hollowed out to hide the smaller, easy to pawn items such as jewelry, credit cards and even larger items such as handguns.
- Consider installing a surveillance camera system around the perimeter of your house. Burglars don't want to get caught and if they see surveillance cameras, they are likely to stay away. If you don't want to spend the money, a less expensive alternative is one of our Fake Security Cameras that are so realistic looking that no one can tell the difference between them and the real thing.
If you follow these home burglary prevention tips, you will be way ahead of the curve in protecting your home. Guardian Self-Defense & Security Products LLC is one of the largest most trusted online distributors of non-lethal self-defense items and surveillance equipment in the US. We specialize in premium pepper spray, mace, personal alarms, stun batons and more. We are "The Self Defense Product Experts"!