- DIY Homemade Pepper Spray - How to Make Pungent Spray December 07, 2020
- Best Pepper Spray - 2021 OC Buying Guide December 03, 2020
- Are Stun Batons a Good Protection Tool? September 04, 2020
Top Pepper Spray
Top Stun Guns
Pepper spray or mace for rape prevention
Post by Bryan Buckner
Pepper spray or mace for rape prevention? Everyone, male or female; young or old should arm themselves with a self defense product like pepper spray or mace. Why? Because it has the potential to save lives if used properly. Just last week a young women in our hometown was forcibly raped by an attacker as she tried to enter her home. This twenty six year old women returned home at 3:00 a.m. As she neared her front door she noticed a man approaching. While attempting to get into her apartment the attacker asked if he could use the telephone and have a glass of water. She said no and attempted to close the front door. That's when he overpowered her forcing his way into the apartment. Once inside he raped the women at knife point. I can't help but think the outcome could have been different had the victim possessed pepper spray in her hand and used it. Most of us feel like our homes and neighborhoods are safe. Others have the “it can't happen to me" syndrome. The truth is it can happen to any of us. Although, there are no guarantee's you can drastically increase your odds buy getting serious about your personal security situation. Here are a few things you can do to take control of your personal safety.
- Awareness: The most important first line of defense is your awareness. The awareness of your surroundings, awareness of yourself and the potential attacker's strategy could is the self defense that could prevent crime. Criminals prey on individuals who appear to be unaware or occupied. By paying close attention to your surroundings and by projecting yourself as a strong, confident figure will prevent many altercations which are commonplace on the street.
- Use your sixth sense. You know that feeling you get in your stomach when something doesn’t seem right? Trust your intuition which is a powerful subconscious gift. Learn to become more in-touch with your sixth sense.
- Self-defense training. Consider Krav Maga or some type of real world self defense training. Techniques should focus on simple easy to execute but effective strikes and kicks.
- You CAN and SHOULD defend yourself in a dangerous situation. Many worry that by fighting back against and attacker it will cause the situation to escalate and increase your chances of being hurt or killed, but statistics clearly show that your odds of survival are far greater if you do fight back. Attack the eyes and the groin area. Surprise him with a eye gauge or a kick to the groin.
- Carry pepper spray and be prepared to use it. Pepper spray or Mace can be an extremely effective self defense weapon if used properly. First and foremost it must be accessible. It does absolutely no good at the bottom of the purse when needed. Think about the times when you are most vulnerable to attack (leaving or arriving at home, walking to your car, leaving work, the mall parking lot, the gym, jogging, biking are all good examples) and make sure your pepper spray is accessible and ready. Take time to practice with your pepper spray. Learn the spray pattern, the effective range, and the safety device. A few minutes in your back yard is all that’s needed.