Personal Safety Tips - Personal Pepper Spray and Alarm
- Opportunistic criminals look for a vulnerability, than attack it. Be especially aware of your surroundings at times when you may be less alert and more vulnerable to an attack (e.g., during periods of stress) when you are upset or sick, or if you have been drinking.
- Use the "buddy system" whenever possible. There is safety in numbers, so try not to embark alone. If you must, always use discretion and caution when in isolated surroundings.
- If you must be in an isolated area, lock the doors and tell a friend or the Police Department where you are and when you plan to leave.
- Always have your cell phone accessible and charged. Program important emergency numbers into your cell phones speed dial.
- Keep personal belongings in view while eating, meeting, or shopping .
- Carry a personal pepper spray and personal security alarm with you at all times. Pepper spray or mace is affordable, stops attackers from a distance and proven extremely effective. Pepper spray is effective against humans and aggressive dogs. A personal security alarm, will make noise and get needed attention.
- Learn self-defense techniques. Classes are offered through most law enforcement agencies.