- DIY Homemade Pepper Spray - How to Make Pungent Spray December 07, 2020
- Best Pepper Spray - 2021 OC Buying Guide December 03, 2020
- Are Stun Batons a Good Protection Tool? September 04, 2020
Top Pepper Spray
Top Stun Guns
20 Things A Burglar Won't Reveal About Home Security
Post by Bryan Buckner
- Sometimes I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a criminal.
- The two things I hate most: barking dogs and nosy neighbors.
- I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature
- I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?
- I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.
- Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier than you think to look up your address.
- To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.
- Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.
- Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your floors, painting your home or delivering your new appliance.
- Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check the dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.
- Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into the kids' rooms.
- You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.
- A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. Leave your TV on when you go out.
- If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into your house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.
- Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.
- If decorative glass it part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see it it's set. That makes it too easy.
- A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom - and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.
- It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door - understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather.
- I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters.
- If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.