Safety On and Off Campus
Most colleges will begin the Fall semester in mid August and many naive and unassuming students will fall victim to crimes such as burglary, sexual assault and date rape. The result will likely change the victims life forever. Fortunately there are things you can do and actions you can take to help prevent becoming the next statistic. At Guardian Self Defense, our business is personal security and it all starts with being aware of your surroundings. Think about the vast and diverse settings you may be exposed on campus. Students go from the dorm or apartment to classes, they go to eateries, the library, to the bookstore, maybe to walk or exercise, and out to party and socialize. Things happen very quickly, especially for freshmen, who are adapting from high school to college. There are lots of opportunities for students to make mistakes and potentially find themselves in a very difficult spot without the ability to get help. Here are some tips and best practices that can really save the day!
- Always pay attention and be aware of your surroundings. PREACH this to your friends, family, and anyone you can. You could prevent a crime and save a life.
- As you walk to and from classes; maybe you like to walk or jog for exercise. Whatever the case may be, try to find a friend(s) to accompany you.
- If you have trouble finding a "buddy", then you need to consider investing in some sort of non-lethal self defense product that will allow you to protect yourself if necessary.
- Learn to manage your body language. Walking confidently, take the most direct path and keep at a steady pace. Appearing to be strong and confident is a huge detterent; rapists target those who seem to be vulnerable.
- Always choose to get your own drink. Do not allow anyone to get a drink for you. In fact, if you did not watch it being poured, don't drink it.
- Once you have a drink don't leave it unattended. If you do, pour it out and get another.
- Don't share or taste another persons drink.
- If you think a drink tastes funny or different, dispose of it immediately.